March 10, 2012 2 Comments
Filed under Uncategorized
Lineman, Electrician, Industrial Control technician, Staking Engineer, Inspector, Quality Assurance Manager, Chief Operations Officer
A Reminder of Our Heritage
It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern.
But that reasoning cannot be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people.
Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.
- Townie November 12, 2014Like you all, I love it when my friends surprise me, and Rachael really did me yesterday morning. She’s been writing very wonderful Haiku lately, and I always enjoy them but, I do miss her fiction. Or at least she says they’re fiction, somehow they ring true for me, and I thought this one might for […]NEO
- Veteran’s Day November 11, 2014I sat down last night to write a post for Veteran’s Day, and I couldn’t think of a single new thing to say. So this is from a couple of years ago, with a few additions, nothing has really changed, has it? That’s mostly because, I suppose, that nothing is really new. Our guys and girls are […]NEO
- Remembrance Sunday November 9, 2014[Many of you who read here, have become friends of ours, and so we like to tell you a bit when things happen our lives. This is one of those notes, Neo.] This is my partner Jessica’s birthday, although we will unable to wish it to her today, let us remember the good times we […]NEO
- The Center Cannot Hold November 4, 2014Well, my friends, and colleagues, today is election day, Get out and vote! Many of you know that my partner, Jessica, got seriously ill in September, and underwent a cure which could only have been a miracle from God. She chose to recuperate in a cloister, and it increasingly appears that she intends to stay […]NEO
- Julian of Norwich ~ Mystic, Theologian and Anchoress November 3, 2014Do you remember that we talked some about Julian of Norwich’s theology last week? I said in that article that we didn’t know much about her life. Well we still don’t but, I did run across an article that tells us a lot more than I knew. To me, the people are what makes history […]NEO
- Current Conditions : 41.6F, Overcast - 8:02 PM CST Nov. 25 November 26, 2014Temperature: 41.6°F | Humidity: 68% | Pressure: 29.89in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: WNW | Wind Speed: 7.0mph
- Tuesday as of Nov. 25 3:00 PM CST November 25, 2014Tuesday - Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of rain. High of 50F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
- Tuesday Night as of Nov. 25 3:00 PM CST November 25, 2014Tuesday Night - Overcast with a chance of snow in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 27F. Breezy. Winds from the WNW at 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of snow 20%.
- Wednesday as of Nov. 25 3:00 PM CST November 25, 2014Wednesday - Partly cloudy. High of 34F with a windchill as low as 16F. Windy. Winds from the NNW at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph.
Top Posts & Pages
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Blogs I Follow
- Changing Skin and other stories
- Omaha News & World Report
- Shootin' the Breeze
- Ace of Spades HQ Blackout Blog
- Joanne Bailey Muses on History
- Transparency Report
- The Nice Thing About Strangers
- Ye Olde Soapbox
- Watcher of Weasels
- Villainous Company
- Unedited Politics
- Two Nerdy History Girls
- Thomas Sowell's Townhall.com Column
- The Tree of Mamre
- The Freelance History Writer
- The Daley Gator
Posts I Like
- 72,445 views
You’re St. Melito of Sardis!
You have a great love of history and liturgy. You’re attached to the traditions of the ancients, yet you recognize that the old world — great as it was — is passing away. You are loyal to the customs of your family, though you do not hesitate to call family members to account for their sins.