20, 000 Thanks
September 8, 2012 36 Comments
20,000 times somebody has opened a page here. Wow! I’m pretty amazed that anybody wants to know what a broken down old lineman thinks but, there you are. Over 3600 times somebody has had something to say about something here. Thank you so much.
We are moving into the home stretch of the presidential campaign, as I write this the aftermath to the Democratic convention is on my TV, you all know how important I think this election is. Not to belabor the point, this election will decide if America remains America, or becomes just another European slave state. It’s that important. The election won’t be the final answer of course, we will have to stay awake for years and continue the mission. This is one of our quests, the restoration of the American Dream. It’s one but it’s not a stand alone dream.
If you’ve been reading here any amount of time, you know what I believe but maybe this would be a good place to summarize.
First I believe in the power and responsibility of the smallest of minorities, the individual. In our system the individual is the sovereign unit of the electorate, not Christians, not atheists, not democrats, not republicans, not any group at all. The Individual. Every thing else flows from that, the mission of the government is to protect the individual. That’s what liberty is all about. From this come several things.
- The underpinning of the United States (in fact, the free world) is the Judeao-Christian heritage of the God of the individual. We each and every one of us is created in the image of our God. That doesn’t mean that you can’t be a good American if you are an atheist, a Buddhist, a Moslem or anything else. It means that you must have a morality that recognizes that objective good and evil exists, and that the individual is sovereign with non-revocable (God-given is the usual term) rights, until you infringe on the rights of others.
- Only capitalism (real free-market capitalism) is consistent with Liberty. It’s my responsibility to provide for mine and it’s yours to provide for yours. The major point about this is that it not a zero sum game, the economy will grow, I can remember when super high tech in the consumer market meant color TV, look at the tech field now. If you are growing your business by lobbying the government for grants, or doing favor for politicians, or trying to regulate your competitors out of business, you are my enemy, because you are not a capitalist. Remember, you can get rich, you can also starve, it’s up to you, not me, not the government. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look out for the unfortunate, or the unlucky. As a Christian it is my duty to do good works both individually and as a church. I believe it’s also my duty as a human being, but it is not my duty, in either case, to have the government take my money to support you because you are too lazy or self important to work.. Get a job.
- The very first right is the Right to Life. I don’t care who you are you do not have the right to take a life except to save a life. There can be no justification for that. I hear a lot about abortion in case of rape, sorry, no. I’m sorry you were raped and the animal that committed the crime is beneath contempt but, the child that was conceived from it is not at fault, that child has a much right to his life as you do. Incest, is the same thing, different verse. Abortion to save the life of the mother, maybe, if, and only if, that is truly the case, it can be proper to take a life to save a life but, we can do amazing things for premature fetuses these days, think long and hard. By the way, the father has interest in the child as well, the decision is not all about you, it’s about all three of you. In a related matter, if you don’t want to have a child, don’t have sex. It works every time, ok, for us Christians there is one exception.
- I have a right to my property, whether I earned it or someone gave it to me. It’s mine, if you want it, go earn your own, you do not have the right to steal it nor do you have the right to delegate the government to steal it for you. The government has legitimate powers, which we have delegated to them, in the Constitution, as written and amended. As an American, I have consented to be taxed for these things, and only these things, I have not consented to be taxed to support the lazy, or educate the world. When it goes beyond its enumerated powers the government is a thief, stealing my time, stealing my money, stealing my property.
- I believe it is our responsibility as the leader of the free world to defend liberty. Where we can, especially with allies, but without if necessary. We are incomparably the most powerful nation in the history of the world, many in the world derive their living by depending on our market. As has been said, we are the indispensable nation for nearly the entire world, we have the duty to make sure trade continues world-wide, both for our benefit and for the worlds. The Chinese are much better off than were 20 years ago because of us, and if you read history, you will find that freedom follows a free market and so does peace. That does not mean we should engage in mission creep or nation building, we cannot make people free, they are going to have to do the heavy lifting of taking the risks and suffering the pain to make themselves free, even as we did.
You’ve read a good deal lately about what I believe as a Christian, so I’m not going to reiterate it here, today. I will note that it forms the basis of my belief structure. Which could be summed up as: You get what you have earned.
Life is hard. Sometimes life is unfair, get over it and continue the mission.
- The New Jerusalem, or Walsingham (nebraskaenergyobserver.wordpress.com)