March 10, 2012 2 Comments
Filed under Uncategorized
Lineman, Electrician, Industrial Control technician, Staking Engineer, Inspector, Quality Assurance Manager, Chief Operations Officer
A Reminder of Our Heritage
It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern.
But that reasoning cannot be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people.
Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.
- ISIS 3: Islam and us – evangelisation? March 5, 2015This is the continuation of the piece on Islam and ISIS by a Christian with knowledge of the region who …Continue reading →chalcedon451
- T.U.L.I.P. March 5, 2015Readers of my recent posts and comments will note a distinctly Reformed/Calvinist background to them. Let me say first of …Continue reading →njb4725
- Lenten Sharing: chalcedon March 4, 2015Nicholas and Servus have both got us off to a good start in terms of sharing for Lent, so let …Continue reading →chalcedon451
- The Threads Come Apart March 4, 2015Solaris always puts me in a reflective mood, whether it is Tarkovsky’s version, or the more recent re-make (both of …Continue reading →njb4725
- Respondeo March 3, 2015Chalcedon insinuates that I have transgressed some teaching, or spoken “contrary to the mind of the Church”, without actually providing …Continue reading →quiavideruntoculi
- Current Conditions : 43.9F, Scattered Clouds - 4:01 PM CST Mar. 5 March 5, 2015Temperature: 43.9°F | Humidity: 34% | Pressure: 30.23in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SSE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph
- Thursday as of Mar. 5 1:50 PM CST March 5, 2015Thursday - Abundant sunshine. High 43F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph.
- Thursday Night as of Mar. 5 1:50 PM CST March 5, 2015Thursday Night - Clear skies. Low 22F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
- Friday as of Mar. 5 1:50 PM CST March 5, 2015Friday - Sunny skies. High 59F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
Top Posts & Pages
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Blogs I Follow
- Journey Towards Easter
- My Daily Musing
- Beef and Sweet Tea
- An Unlikely Wanderer
- Think Defence
- Judica Me, Deus
- The Catechesis of Caroline
- Changing Skin and other stories
- Omaha News & World Report
- Shootin' the Breeze
- Ace of Spades HQ Blackout Blog
- Joanne Bailey Muses on History
- Transparency Report
- The Nice Thing About Strangers
- Ye Olde Soapbox
- World History Blog
- Watcher of Weasels
- Unedited Politics
Posts I Like
- 78,502 views
You’re St. Melito of Sardis!
You have a great love of history and liturgy. You’re attached to the traditions of the ancients, yet you recognize that the old world — great as it was — is passing away. You are loyal to the customs of your family, though you do not hesitate to call family members to account for their sins.