Benghazi: Lies, Damned Lies, Liars, and Who Did What to Whom and When
October 30, 2012 8 Comments
OK, I guess its time to talk about Benghazi a bit, more and more really troubling information keeps leaking out so let’s put some of it together. Let’s start with some very germane questions the Anchoress is asking.
That the president and his administration has lied to the American people about what happened at Benghazi on September 11 is undeniable.
Today is October 29. It’s been six weeks and our incurious press (apparently intuiting that if the administration first lied about the story and has now clammed up about it, it mustn’t serve Obama’s re-election efforts) is helpfully ignoring the story. The bird-dog press, who like to say the “comfort the afflicted and afflict the comforted” are doing nothing to make the president uncomfortable; they’re launching no investigations; they’re asking no questions, not even simple, obvious ones, like:
1) If no one gave an order to “stand down” who gave the order to “go save”?
2) If no one gave an order to “go save” just what exactly did the President, the Sec State and the Sec Defense do while they watched Benghazi burn over seven hours. There must be some paper trail, somewhere, that shows us that responsible action was taken, yes?
3) Did they all just vote “present?”
4) Why would you go to the UN, and lie about what happened in Benghazi to the whole world, even as your own spokespeople were admitting that the situation there had nothing to do with a damn video?
5) Was this a gun-running operation? Or some kind of October political theatrical gone bad?
5) People in your administration lied to the public. Should not a few resignations be on the president’s desk? Why isn’t the president asking for them?
6) Does lying not matter any more?
These are not unreasonable questions, and they’re the questions Brian Williams and Chris Matthews and the New York Times and every other news outlet would — quite justifiably — be asking of any other president, particularly if he had an R after his name. And yet, the press will not ask them of Obama.
I mean, do you remember the unending umbrage taken at the “outting” of Valerie Plame (which actually occurred thanks to Democrat Richard Armitage) — don’t you think the unresponded-to attack on our consulate, the apparent disregard for the lives of our Ambassador and others in service to the nation is at least as big a deal as the Plame story?
Why do I keep thinking of A Few Good Men and Col. Jessup writing the travel orders after the murder of a marine? If a paper trail suddenly emerges, can we even trust it, anymore?
Keep reading Benghazigate: What is being lied about, going unasked? – UPDATE. Further you really need to follow her Jerusalem Post link as well. Hold on to your hats, this is getting worse and worse.
Next, my blogging buddy Giliar at Hump Day Report has an article that reports this.
Libya storm grows.Hillary Asked For More Security In Benghazi, Obama Said No ”It is possible that Clinton’s legal counsel may have revealed this story to various sources, in hopes of protecting her reputation. Reports also indicate that former President Bill Clinton has urged his wife to release State Department documents “that prove she called for additional security at the compound in Libya.” Those same, unconfirmed reports indicate Obama will almost certainly lose the election if those documents are released.”
It gets better (actually, worse). AC-130U Gunship Was On-Scene In Benghazi, Obama Admin Refused To Let It Fire “The AC-130U is a very effective third-generation fire-support aircraft, capable of continuous and extremely accurate fire onto multiple targets. It has been used numerous times in Iraq and Afghanistan to save pinned-down allied forces, and has even been credited with the surrender of the Taliban city of Kunduz.”
What about General Ham? (Shaka to Carl) Did General Ham Become Another Victim For Trying To Save Americans In Benghazi? “A rumor is circulating that General Ham moved to defy orders to try and save the lives of the Americans in Benghazi and was immediately relieved of duty. General Ham immediately had a rapid response unit ready and communicated to the Pentagon that he had a unit ready. General Ham then received the order to stand down. His response was that he was going to help anyhow.”
Then there’s this (Shaka to Tom): US General Arrested For Activating Special Forces Teams ”Africom commanding officer U.S. General Carter Ham, after being ordered to essentially surrender control of the situation to alleged Al Queda terrorists and let Americans on the ground die, made the unilateral decision to ignore orders from the Secretary of Defense and activated special operations teams at his disposal for immediate deployment to the area. According to reports, once the General went rogue he was arrested within minutes by his second in command and relieved of duty.” Of course, the General can’t say anything….at least not yet.
Continue reading Hump Day Report: Storm Warning « Hump Day Report.
OK, got all this digested, get your Tums out, this is getting unsettling and nasty.
First, The Diplomatic Security Service is Secretary Clinton’s to command as she sees fit, unless she asked the President, so she had the authority to extend the people who were there, or send in others, or whatever.
Second, Africa Command (Africom) is a United States Unified Command that reports to the Secretary of Defense. Officially only the Secretary of Defense (Leon Panetta) can relieve him. Of course in reality that order would come from the President, barring really unusual conditions. The constitutional purpose of all American armed forces is to defend America and Americans, it would seem to me that reinforcing two former Seals in a seven hour firefight and protecting a US Ambassador would meet that requirement. But there’s always some politics involved at this level.
Third, if this report of Cinc Africa’s arrest is true, that order had to come from SecDef or higher, and to take the action, I would think his deputy would require someone to CYA. Why? If he did it on his own, it could very easily be construed as mutiny in the face of the enemy. That is not likely to be career enhancing on an officer’s personnel file. And whatever happened to “running to the sound of the guns”?
Fourth, if you read that link to the Jerusalem Post you no doubt noticed a rumor of gun-running to al-Qaeda, as if Mexican drug lords weren’t enough, what’s with this administration and gun-running, anyway?
Finally there is this from the SECDEF
“(The) basic principle is that you don’t deploy forces into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on; without having some real-time information about what’s taking place,” Panetta told Pentagon reporters. “And as a result of not having that kind of information, the commander who was on the ground in that area, Gen. Ham, Gen. Dempsey and I felt very strongly that we could not put forces at risk in that situation.”
That’s from Maggie’s Notebook and you should read that article here as well.
Which leaves we with two questions
- Since when? Soldiers rarely know all they would like upon entering combat.
- What didn’t you know with apparently two Drones in the air and maybe Spectre as well? What did you want, to read their nametapes before shooting them or what?
I keep coming back to the thought that the whole fiasco was political for the election but wouldn’t a heroic rescue mission have been more effective, even if it failed, it surely would have been more in character for Americans, than sitting in the basement of the White House watching Americans die under attack by hostiles.
This story is a mess there is so much information, misinformation, and disinformation floating around that I’m not sure of anything beyond the fact that Americans died reenacting the Alamo for no reason in Libya. This whole thing is about as transparent as mud, and just about as filthy as the mud in a feedlot.
- Obama must answer critical questions about Benghazi disaster (voices.kansascity.com)
- Obama Ordered That The Men In Benghazi Be Left To Die (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)
- Can Conservatives Swiftboat Obama Over Benghazi? (slate.com)
- AC-130U Gunship was On-Scene in Benghazi, Obama Administration Refused to Let It Fire (themadjewess.com)
- Has General Ham Been Fired? (americanthinker.com)
- the monumental depravity in the white house …. yes, it gets even worse …. a general is sacked, and relieved of command, to prevent him from sending troops to benghazi to rescue our ambassador …. (wintersoldier2008.typepad.com)
- “Prez Obama Lying Over Benghazi” Says General Ham (Who Obama Is Replacing With Another General?!) (themadjewess.com)
- AC-130U Gunship was On-Scene in Benghazi, Obama Admin Refused to Let It Fire (Updated) (bobusnr.wordpress.com)
- Obama Pressed on Benghazi Response (drudge.com)
- Hugh Hewitt: Interview with Senator McCain re Benghazi (hughhewitt.com)